CABARET PLAYERS MEETING MINUTES
September 28, 2018
Present: Diane Brenner, Chairperson
36 members in attendance
The meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m. by Diane.
Welcome: Diane welcomed all and thanked the members who have been working on the committees and projects over the summer. She recognized our current President, Kate Heiser, Vice president, Jolene Nerdahl, and past president, Mark Brenner, as well as Board members Kathy Marker, Donna Figurski and Martha White. This is the first meeting of the season, and in that spirit printed agendas were available at a welcome table which Diane stated to the members as a way to write their notes/comments or suggestions. At that point she welcomed new members, Ray Kouns and Mike Holmen. Ray has been in SSG for about a year and a recent member of the club. Mike has been here about 13 years, but a brand new member with computer skills. Diane and Joe Best, who have volunteered to handle microphones, were present.
Play Skit: Ruth Ann and Norris Carpenter played “Mama and Papa”, a married couple where the wife enjoyed dancing for fun, and the husband liked computers. Papa wanted Mama to become more computer literate, yet Mama had a lot of reasons not to welcome a “mouse” in the house or a “monitor” that Papa always seemed to yell at. In fact, her big reason was it would take away time she spent on cooking, cleaning and doing laundry for Papa. He was convinced but Mama had a surprise to seal the deal! (You had to be there)!!!
CAM Cards: Diane has been attending the Space Allocation meetings being conducted for the purpose of improving ways to accommodate clubs and space requests in SSG. She urged members to bring their CAM cards to all future meetings and to all events. Kate stated this is a new rule, and that some clubs may have scanners to record attendance.
Drama Club Website: Diane mentioned she is often asked for members’ info, but all of that is available on our website. She has been working with Jolene to update info on the Cabaret Players section including definitions of various roles and activities, as well as all forms. The member list is confidential to members and accessed by password only
November Plays and Directors: The November show is cast for “Comedy Capers”, produced by Martha White. Martha introduced the directors who provided a quick synopsis of their plays. Dates are: November 8, 9 and 10.
- “Digging up Hoffa” (Fred Stenzel) which is about a lady who insists Jimmy Hoffa is buried in her yard. Patricia Hedemark, Jerri Staffiery, and Norris Carpenter are cast as the woman, the TV host and the son.
- “Angel in Disguise” (Rosalie Chapman). A wife tries to convince her reluctant husband to dress in a costume for a Halloween party. Irene Ritchie and Ray Kouns play the couple. The wife shares her plan with the audience.
- “Romance á la Medicare (Gail Leibowitz). Gail was not present, so Peter Nonas gave the recap. Two older people who are friends have children who want them to move to a retirement home. The play centers on their combined efforts to thwart the families’ attempt. Peter and Ila Chanin play the two friends.
- “The Holiday Letter” (Ralph Julianelle). Two women exchange Christmas letters, and the one always has such exciting and wonderful news. This year the other woman is determined to outdo her in her letter, even if it means stretching the truth a bit. Beth DeMarco, Jill Kirkpatrick and Stan Debber play the characters.
- Jolene announced she is producer and director of the of the Variety Show’s 20th Anniversary. She welcomes all suggestions and acts for consideration. She would like to see some of the former acts brought back.
- Jolene confirmed we are still using the credit system and importance of signing sheets when you work for points. Verify your info is correct on the roster; if not, notify Gerry Seaburg. Pat Halon records points off these sheets.
- Thank you Norris and Ruth for the treats today. Sign-up sheet was passed for volunteers. Reimbursed limit is $25.
- Sign-up sheets were also passed for meeting skits and ushers for the November shows. We need volunteers to film the shows.
- Donna mentioned she has been keeping a great record of past show photos for the members to enjoy.
The meeting was adjourned by Diane at 9:45 a.m. Next meeting is scheduled for Friday, October 26, 2018.
Respectfully submitted by Patricia Carnahan